Friday, March 02, 2007

I Don't Heart Huckabee, and other Highlights from CPAC

The thing is, Mike Huckabee used to be my favorite Republican contender (ever since John McCain's Bush-calls-this-a-troop-surge?-I'll-show him-a-troop-surge push.) But this statement is scary as hell:

Here's what I don't understand. For those who say we shouldn't amend the Constitution, they seem to be more than willing to amend the Holy Bible, the Koran, as well the Talmud. I'm not sure why we would take a sacred Biblical text and amend it and not be willing to amend the Constitution to be consistent with the very texts upon which that Constitution was based.

Unsurprisingly, this guy, Sen. James M. Inhofe, R-OK, who gave an anti-Al Gore (I'll call it "An All-Too Convenient Fancy") PowerPoint presentation at the conference, isn't running for president:

Why are politicians so afraid to tell the truth about man-made global warming?

It's because the families are subjected to every conceivable insult and attack. I have been called -- my kids are all aware of this -- "dumb," "crazy man," "science-abuser," "Holocaust denier," "villain of the month," "hate-filled," "warmonger," "Neanderthal," "Genghis Khan," and "Attila the Hun."

(LAUGHTER)

And I could just tell you that I wear some of those titles proudly, considering where they're coming from.


P.S. It's hard to read conservative activists sometimes, but I would say that Rudy Giuliani at least came close to stealing the show. If he can keep up that momentum, he may have a shot, despite his much-discussed liabilities. If I agreed with more than 20 percent of what he was saying, I would have been sold myself. He has a way of inspiring confidence.

No comments: