Sunday, November 05, 2006

Quote du Jour: Lindsey Graham

"I'm optimistic because the Iraqi people are dying for their own freedom. We just need a strategy to provide better security to get this right."

-- Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) to Wolf Blitzer on "Late Edition" this afternoon

My concern is with the word "dying." Does he mean it in the hyperbolic sense, or in the literal sense, or some cynical combination of the two?
I don't mean to imply that Graham is a particularly cynical politician; in fact, I think he's one of the more sincere on his side of the aisle. I just think it's kind of sad the way Iraqi lives are spoken of so casually, tossed lightly in a sentence beside "optimism."
After all, with Saddam on death row now, exactly who is it we're expecting them to wrest their freedom from? Surely we can't be speaking of ourselves.

No comments: