Friday, November 07, 2008

It sucks about Prop. 8, though.

I feel bad for Ellen. I guess she doesn't hold as much political sway with her viewers as Oprah supposedly does.
In all seriousness, though, with her recent marriage, she does put a face to the issue, as does George Takei.

Unlike the outcomes in Florida and Arizona, this one surprised me. I thought California was cooler than this. But, like a lot of Easterners who think of Cali as mostly L.A., San Diego/Francisco, and the hippie enclaves of the north, I guess I forgot about places like Orange County. The black vote is also being blamed, but I don't know if that can completely account for it.

This issue isn't going away, though. Like all other civil rights struggles, although "struggle" is the operative word, for the long-lived and patient, time is on its side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On a night that was very upbeat in general, I felt quite let down by the Prop 8 results. I guess I had thought that our culture (or at least some parts of it) had become liberal enough to allow for the existance of actual tolerance of equal rights for a minority group that many find creepy.