Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Google-head: The Atlantic Asks...

... Is Google Making Us Stupid?

Umm, maybe... although I think, in reference to one of the author's points about ever-changing technologies, the emergence of the computer keyboard with easy delete key is probably an improvement over the typewriter with regard to fluid thinking... certainly with regard to editing (and, yes, verbosity.)
But, sure, I plead guilty to increased stupidity, and I blame no one but Google. But I'm glad it's not just me.

The article was also interesting for its discussion of the impact of the mechanical clock (I've never been a fan.)

And finally, it was enlightening to learn the extent of Google's ambitions... Much as I love Google, it's a wee bit scary to think that their long-term business plan may be to implant their product in our brains, or even supplant our brains with it... Not sure how I feel about that one.

No comments: