Saturday, March 08, 2008

Perspective

I've always found Samantha Power to be a bit personally irritating, and I welcomed her resignation over the ridiculous "monster" comment. (You don't say things like that to reporters, Scotsmen or otherwise, and expect them to keep it off the record; no true reporter ever passed up a scoop like that.)
And speaking of bias, note the photo the Huffington Post chose to run with this story (yes, admittedly, it's not one of her more "animated" shots, but, still, c'mon.)

However... I don't think Ms. Power was making a conscious effort to "demonize" Clinton; if any forethought had gone into her remark, she would have no doubt stifled it. She's a little zealous, but not an idiot. I think it probably did stem from genuine frustration with the other camp's tactics.
And honestly, I'm a little frustrated, too. Some of the stuff that apparently went on in Ohio is almost too depressing to ponder, but I can't ignore it.

Yes, I'm still on board, but as a matter of commitment, not a blood oath. I haven't jumped ship on the Clintons for being the Clintons; I knew that, once Hillary slipped behind, it was going to get a little ugly.
And I didn't freak out because my standard of integrity for politicians is somewhat lower than that I'd hold for the average person. Good people may enter politics, but it's the rare person who emerges intact. And that doesn't mean the American system is hopelessly evil; it's one of the best in the world. But when humans get together, and power is involved, things are going to go on that the average person isn't going to like, and stopping short of bloody revolution (which just spawns another corrupt system, either sooner, as in many cases, or, in the rare case -- like ours -- later) there's not much we can do. We can change things here and there -- and we should -- at the grassroots level, but we're not going to overhaul it permanently without immense cost.

So the bar is pretty low. I'm not looking for an ideal human being; just someone who can be a good president, who can follow the Constitution and improve the national standard of living rather than erode it, who can keep us out of needless wars and the alienation of our allies... the same standards I would hold a male candidate to.

But Obama's desire (despite that of many in his campaign, I'm sure) to stay above the fray is appealing, I have to admit. It's refreshing, and it's almost even crazy, in an appealing way.

I would really like to see Hillary in the White House, but not at all costs. I know she believes she can do a good job. So do I. But we all need to keep some perspective. If we (as Democrats) don't, we could be looking at another 8 years of kicking ourselves for it.

(But at least Natalie Portman's keeping the faith.)

No comments: