Saturday, December 15, 2007

Another Way of Believing

Some might call this guy a hypocrite or a master of double-think; many more might call him a heretic; and some might just call him someone going to great lengths to avoid a career change.

I've often heard how seminaries produce more atheists than secular programs of study, but skeptical priests and ministers generally keep their lack of belief to themselves. This guy is just putting it out there.

But what intrigues me more are his reasons for believing his (what I would characterize as a humanist, interpersonal) idea of God is something worth discussing and celebrating, not a dirty little secret but something of psychological value. This has always been my personal belief as well, although I've never reached any conclusions as to how it might be worked out. So I'm curious about what this guy has to say, although I guess it will be awhile before his book is translated from the Dutch.
I think it's more than, as Richard Dawkins noted, just a matter of sentimentally preserving the cultural trappings of our Christian history, although I agree that there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Dutch pastor says he can believe in a 'God who doesn't exist.'

No comments: