Saturday, September 29, 2007

Quote du Jour: John Edwards/ Arcade Fire

So that's what that song that's hopelessly stuck in my head is about...

The black mirror knows no reflection
It knows not pride or vanity
It cares not about your dreams
It cares not for your pyramid schemes

Maybe...
I read an article in a British newspaper a couple weeks ago. It said, based on some work being done by American scientists -- suggested that the polar ice cap will disappear in 23 years, unless we change our behavior.

And once it's gone, it is not coming back. And this is -- you know, I won't claim to be a scientific expert, but I'm smart enough to figure out that a polar ice cap reflects the sun's heat. And when that ice cap is gone, the black, dark ocean is going to absorb the sun's heat. And it is not healthy for America.
from Edwards' MySpace/MTV presidential candidate forum last night

MTV, what have you done to me?
Save my soul, set me free!
Set me free! What have you done to me?
I can't breathe! I can't see!
World War III, when are you coming for me?
Been kicking up sparks, we set the flames free
The windows are locked now, so what'll it be?
A house on fire or a rising sea?

Why is the night so still?
Why did I take the pill?
Because I don't wanna see it at my windowsill

http://www.arcadefire.net/lyrics/neon/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

23 years to the total loss of the polar ice cap?

My bullshit meter just broke.

eudaimonia said...

Maybe he's referring to this story in the Guardian?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/
2007/sep/05/climatechange.sciencenews

There's also this sunnier one (so to speak) in the London Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/
world/us_and_americas/article2500311.ece