Friday, September 07, 2007

Back to Work...

... for me and for the good old 110th Congress.

I had a great vacation and am feeling jetlagged but revived in spirit. I hope the same is true for the legislative branch, and that they'll get down to accomplishing something tangible, especially on Iraq.

Harry Reid had the following to say in a press conference today, where he seems to take a stand against the kind of empty political compromise that gives moderation a bad name. Let's hope it holds true in the coming weeks.

We're going to take this matter up the week of September 17. The one thing that we're trying to do is to give the Republicans the ability to keep their word.

They said, in September, there would be a change of course. We're willing to go halfway with them, as long as everyone understands that we're not going to do something that's cosmetic in nature.

To say that a Democrat and a Republican get together and have a piece of legislation that we can all vote for and it doesn't accomplish anything -- I will do everything I can to stir up enough votes to stop that from passing.

I want some legislation that will change what's going on in Iraq, for the reasons I've already outlined.

This is a war that's going to soon be in its sixth year -- think about that -- costing this country -- we're close to three-quarters of a trillion dollars.

I think enough's enough.

No comments: