Friday, September 22, 2006

Hey There

So by way of introduction, before someone calls me an oxymoron (I'm sure I've been called worse) here's a nutshell defense of what I mean by "radical moderate."
I'm not talking middle-of-the-road, let's-not-rock-the-boat sort of moderate.
What I like about the classical concept of the golden mean with regard to ethics (if you're looking for my take on geometry, I'm sorry to say that I missed that boat back in eleventh grade) is that it's not about where you end up on the spectrum but how you arrive there. And just because the center may at times resemble, for instance, what used to be the Right, that doesn't mean moderates have to pack up and head east. Just because the current mode is to view George H.W. Bush as a moderate doesn't mean anything more than the fact that a decade or so ago, Bill Clinton seemed to look like one. Although I respect the latter in many ways, neither are precisely the model for my conception of what a radical moderate would look like in the political realm.
It's not about carving out a niche in the spectrum or compromise for compromise's sake but a state of mind and the corresponding behavior of thoughtful consideration and open dialogue.
A passionate dedication to thoughtful consideration and open, unprejudiced dialogue informed by firsthand research and mutual respect (as opposed to the current mode of either polarized vitriol or spineless compromise) seems like something worth fighting for.

No comments: