Sunday, June 08, 2008

Quote du Jour: Bob Schieffer on Hillary's Swan Song

Well, since I never got around to that eulogy, I'll post Bob Schieffer's from his "Final Thought" on today's "Face the Nation." Bob always says it better than I can. I thought I wasn't going to cry, but the last paragraph made me a little sniffly.
Finally today, Hillary Clinton made the speech of her life yesterday. She showed a grace all too rare in modern politics. And she set the right example for the young people who have worked so hard for her.

The Clintons have not had much practice at losing. And, until yesterday, that showed, in a not altogether flattering way.

But yesterday, it all changed. She offered no excuses. Instead, she said the race was over; the time had come to unite behind her opponent, for whom she said she would work her heart out.

She told her followers that she had not run to be the first woman president but had been a woman running for president, and that, the next time a woman runs, it will no longer be so remarkable.

As the father of two daughters and three granddaughters, I believe she's right about that. She lost this race, but she has advanced the cause of women everywhere.

In life, we lose more than we win. Sometimes it is losing, not winning, that brings out our best. Yesterday Hillary Clinton showed us her best.

No comments: