Friday, October 12, 2007

Nobel Watch Update: Yep, he did.

Not a big surprise, but good news, nonetheless, from an earth-based perspective (hard to imagine an alternative perspective, but some factions may claim one...)
Maybe he'll run and maybe he won't. Polls show him with a much better chance to beat Giuliani than Hillary. I'll be honest. I'd like to see a woman (not just any woman; I'm not talking Elizabeth Dole or Condi Rice) but a moderate-to-liberal woman in the White House, whether as veep or in the top spot. Reservations notwithstanding, (in a nutshell, the hawkish persona she's cultivated for this campaign) I think Hillary would do a fine job at the top. But I wouldn't mind seeing another Clinton/Gore / Gore/Clinton ticket, and I could get behind Gore/Obama or Gore/Edwards as well.
But regardless of that omnipresent election year question, and regardless of the precise details on what's happening environmentally, (that's what Gore's co-recipients, the IPCC, are trying to find out) the more attention paid to the planet on which we depend for our survival, (barring that expedition to Mars) the better. And this can't hurt.
Related: Nobel Watch: Will he get it? Will he get it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's the pesky problem that Mr. Gore is not interested in running.

eudaimonia said...

Yes, pesky details.
If only he weren't so coy (I mean resolute :)